Monday, October 25, 2010

My first look at my specimen

In my microaquarium, I used Water Source 2, which comes from the French Broad River of the Seven IslandsWildlife Refuge in Knox County, Tennessee (McFarland...Botany 111 2010 ). Also, when observing, we are only allowed to use 4X and 10X magnification.

When observing my microaquarium on the first day, it was pretty still except for many miniscule organisms moving around, most of them on the very top layer of the soil. The first organism I saw was a round, transparent organism that appeared to just be floating around until it found a patch of floating soil in which it fed off of. This particular organism looked like it had a tail and its body slightly resembled that of a tadpole. The organisms I observed after that varied in size, color, and body movement. The most interesting organism I saw was long and branch-like. It could fold up like an accordion and it moved very slowly. When I first sighted it, one of its ends was attached to a tiny ball of soil folding itself every couple of seconds. Eventually it released itself from the soil and moved around in the same area. Overall, my first experience observing my microaquarium was very fascinating and I enjoyed it very much.

Source: McFarland, K. 2010 October 4. [cited 2010 October 25]. Water Source 2. [Internet]. Available from Botany 111 2010 Blog Spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment